Newly Admitted Students – What to do First
STUDENTS OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES:
Newly admitted international students who are outside the United States will need
to obtain either an I-20 or DS-2019 form from the UCSB Office of International Students
and Scholars (OISS) in order to secure an F-1 or J-1 student visa from a U.S. consulate.
OISS will issue the I-20 or DS-2019 form after you have sent to our office
documentation of your financial ability to pay for your expenses for the
first year of study at UCSB.
STUDENTS ATTENDING A U.S. COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY:
If you are already attending a U.S. college or university in the F-1 or J-1 student
status, you will need to
- 1. Contact your International Student Advisor to request that your current school
transfer your I-20 or DS-2019 record in the Student Exchange Visitor
Information System (SEVIS) to UCSB.
- 2. Please download and complete the
F-1 Transfer In Form or the J-1
Transfer In Form. Be certain to provide a SEVIS release date as well as
the name and fax number for the person(s) responsible for international students
in your school. Then mail, fax (805 893-7132), or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) the form
to our office.
- 3. Please download and complete the
New International Student Information Form and send to our office along with
the above transfer-in form. When completing the form, please remember to
4. You will also have to provide us with documentation
of your financial ability to pay for your expenses for the first year of study
- a. Be certain that your home country address refers to the country of your citizenship.
The address cannot be a post office (P.O.) box.
- b. Provide your current living address which cannot be a post office (P.O.) box.
- c. Indicate your major field of study.
- d. Provide the mailing address where you want your I-20 or DS-2019 form to be sent.
If you have received a Fulbright award, please send our office a copy of your Fulbright
award letter. Fulbright will issue the DS-2019 form to you.