Immigration FAQ for UC Employees

We know that many members of the University of California community are concerned about immigration enforcement actions occurring across the country and have asked about the possibility that enforcement actions could occur at UC. This FAQ responds to your questions and provides information about how to respond in such a situation. Please keep in mind that Department of Homeland Security (DHS) policies are in transition; we may update this guidance as warranted.

Can UC prevent federal immigration enforcement officers from coming on campus or entering hospitals, clinics or other University property?

Generally, no. UC is a public university and a large portion of UC property is open to the general public. UC does not have authority to prohibit federal immigration enforcement officers from coming on campus or entering health facilities to enforce federal law. The areas on campus that are open to the general public are also open to federal immigration enforcement officers.
However, public access is limited in certain areas of UC campuses and property because of privacy concerns, operational needs or safety considerations. Campus buildings and spaces in which access is physically restricted, such as by key card, locked doors or monitored entryways, including University housing and clinical areas, fall into this category. Limited access spaces also include some that may normally be left unlocked during the workday, including, for example, administrative or faculty offices, classrooms while classes are in session, hospital inpatient rooms, clinic exam rooms, locker rooms, research laboratories, kitchens and food preparation areas, maintenance areas, storage facilities and physical plant operations.
UC employees are not required to affirmatively assist federal immigration authorities or grant permission to enter limited access space when officers do not have a judicial warrant to enter, and it is appropriate to seek guidance from Campus/Medical Center Counsel to understand your duties in particular circumstances. However, federal law prohibits you from hiding evidence, concealing or hiding individuals who are the subjects of law enforcement activity, or interfering with an arrest. Further, you should not put yourself in physical danger.
If an immigration officer seeks your consent to enter limited access space or requests information or documents from you about another individual, take steps to ensure that you have authority to provide the requested access, information or documents. Ask the officer for their name, identification number and agency affiliation; ask for a copy of any warrant they may have, inform the officer that you are not obstructing their process but need to contact Campus/Medical Center Counsel for assistance and contact Chief Campus Counsel, Nancy Hamill, for assistance, and contact Chief Campus Counsel at (510) 381-2408 (cell) / (805) 893-3459 (campus office) / (510) 987-8720 (Oakland office) / or email See Question No. 6 below if you work in a hospital or clinic.