A prospective visitor (J-1 scholar) must first be invited by a faculty member in your department or research institute. Your department/institute will be considered the J-1 visitor’s host department.
Please be sure to confirm the details of the proposed visit, such as duration and dates, academic activity, and source of funding, before submitting a request to OISS. To apply for a J-1 visa, the visitor will need a "Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status", also known as the “DS-2019 form”. Requests for DS-2019 forms are submitted to OISS via the International Scholar Dossier (ISD) website (click here to send an email request for ISD User access).
OISS highly recommends that you begin communicating with the prospective visitor, confirm the visit details and submit the DS-2019 request three to six months prior to the proposed visit.
Steps for submitting initial (new) DS-2019 requests via ISD:
STEP ONE (Host Department):
- Host Department personnel coordinator (ISD User) will give the visitor access to the International Scholar Dossier (ISD) website. This is known as “Inviting” the scholar to the ISD website. (A link to Department User instructions is available once Department User logs in to the system).
STEP TWO (Visitor):
- Visitor will log in to ISD and submit all information related to the proposed visit, including the uploading of all required documents for the request. (A link to Visitor instructions is available once visitor logs in to the system).
STEP THREE (Host Department):
- Host Department ISD User will Review the information submitted by the visitor
- Complete the appointment information in the Appointment tab
- Upload the required forms:
- Departmental Approval form (consisting of both the "English Language Proficiency Certification" AND "Authorizing Signatures" pages)
- Academic Personnel Appointment Approval (if applicable)
- Flag the record for OISS review by changing the record's processing status to "Pending Advisor Review".
STEP FOUR (OISS):
- OISS will process the request by submitting the information to the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), which will create the SEVIS record and issue the DS-2019 form(s) for the visitor and any eligible J-2 Dependent family members. When the DS-2019 packet is ready, OISS will contact the Host Department for pick-up.
STEP FIVE (Host Department):
- Host Department will arrange the mailing of the DS-2019 packet to the visitor.
For questions regarding the J-1 DS-2019 Form Request Process, please email J1Scholar@sa.ucsb.edu.
For technical questions, please email email@example.com.