Canadian citizens are exempt from the visa requirement and may seek admission to the U.S. as a TN/TD non-immigrants directly with the Department of Homeland Security at any designated U.S. Port of Entry location such as:
- U.S. Class A port-of-entry
- U.S. airport handling international traffic
- U.S. pre-clearance/pre-flight station
Canadians seeking the TN visa (and dependents seeking TD status) will need to pay fees and provide required documents as detailed by the U.S. Department of State here
One of the required documents is a contract or letter to document the job offer. This document must be provided by the UCSB Hiring Department. A sample letter is provided here
. The document must include:
- purpose of entry;
- A detailed description of anticipated business activities or job responsibilities;
- anticipated length of stay in the United States;
- educational qualifications or appropriate credentials demonstrating professional status;
- Evidence of compliance with Department of Homeland Security (DHS) regulations and/or state laws; and
- Arrangements for pay.
TN/TD Applicants should plan to enter the US no more than 10 days prior to the requested start date of employment on the TN Employment Request Letter.