J-1 Exchange Visitors in the Research Scholar, Professor, and Short-Term Scholar categories are permitted to receive payments for occasional lectures/conferences and reimbursement for travel/incidental expenses. They may also engage in short-term research consultations with an off-campus host. The term occasional is defined as a single event and not to an on-going activity.
The Office of International Students & Scholars may issue an authorization letter if the off-campus activity meets the following requirements:
- Be directly related to the objectives of the J-1 program
- Be incidental to the primary program activities at UCSB
- Will not delay the completion of the J-1 program (i.e. current program end date on the J-1 DS-2019 form)
- J-1 program will not be extendable solely for the purpose of additional time for off-campus activity.
For short-term research consultations – the off-campus institute/company must pay the Scholar as an “Independent Contractor” and not as an employee.
- Independent Contractor status is not required for reimbursement of travel/incidental expenses.
- This authorization may not be used as a form of employment authorization with a secondary employer.
The request must be approved and documented by OISS prior to the start of the off-campus activity.
Such examples of off-campus activities (but not limited to) are:
- Reimbursement of travel/incidental for attending a lecture/conference
- Honorarium received for presenting a talk
- Guest lecturer with another institution
- Short-term research consultation with an off-campus company
How to request the authorization letter
The J-1 Exchange Visitor must submit the following documents to the Office of International Students & Scholars at least 10 business days in advance of the activity start date:
- An invitation letter or research consultation offer letter from the off-campus institute/company describing the terms and conditions of the activity. (see sample letter)
- J-1 Off-Campus Activity Request Form
- Completed by the J-1 Exchange Visitor
- Reviewed and approved by the J-1 Exchange Visitor’s Supervisor and Dept. Chair/Institute Director.
Once approved, the Office of International Students & Scholars will issue a new J-1 DS-2019 form and Authorization Letter to allow for the start of the approved off-campus activity.
Any changes to the initial authorization must first be reported to the Office of International Students & Scholar prior to the start of the new off-campus activity.