J-1 Categories

J-1 Scholar Categories

A description, including the requirements, of each of the three J-1 visa categories utilized by UCSB is provided to help scholars select the one that best matches their intended academic visit.

Short-Term Scholar

The Short-Term Scholar category is used by professors, research scholars, specialists or people with similar education or accomplishments who come to the United States on a short-term (6 months or less) for the purpose of lecturing, observing, consulting, training or demonstrating special skills at universities and similar institutions.

  • Period of validity ranges from a minimum of 1 day to a maximum period of 6 months.
  • Extensions beyond 6 months are not permitted for this category.
  • The Short-Term Scholar Category can be used multiple times.
  • The 12 month bar and the 24 month bar on repeat participation do not apply to the Short-Term Scholar Category.
  • 212(E) Two Year Home Residency Requirement may apply.

Research Scholar and Professor

The Research Scholar and Professor categories are nearly identical and differ as to whether the visitor’s primary academic intent is to conduct research or teach. A Research Scholar may also teach or lecture in conjunction with their research activities if allowed by the sponsoring department. A Professor may also conduct research in conjunction with their teaching if allowed by the sponsoring department.

  • The period of validity for these categories ranges from a 3 week minimum to a maximum of five years.
  • Once a Research Scholar or Professor completes their J-1 program, they may not return to the United States in the Research Scholar or Professor categories for 24 months.
  • The 212(E) Two Year Home Residency Requirement may apply.