Change in Degree Level

If you have been accepted into a higher program level (for example, Bachelor's to Master's or Master's to Ph.D.), you must apply for a program level change I-20 or DS-2019 no later than 10 days before the end of your previous program.

F-1 Students: If you are currently on OPT, you must apply before the end date on your EAD card. Note that once the program level change I-20 is issued, your OPT will no longer be valid.

Failure to request the program level change in a timely manner may cause immigration issues, so please act accordingly.

I-20 Request Form (F-1 students) or DS-2019 Request Form (J-1 students)
Copy of UCSB Admission Letter or approved petition showing acceptance to higher program level
Proof of financial support (such as a bank statement or department support letter)

Our current processing time for Change of Level requests is 10 business days. Once your request is approved, you will receive an updated I-20/DS-2019 to reflect your new program level and program start and end dates. Please make sure to review your documents to ensure that all information is valid and correct.