On-Campus Employment

In general, all F-1 students are eligible for on-campus employment upon obtaining F-1 status. Because the employment is "incident to status," no authorization from OISS or USCIS is required.

Types of On-Campus Employment

In general, on-campus employment may be divided into three types:

  1. Work on the school premises, employed by the I-20 issuing institution (such as work for a UCSB department or dining hall)
  2. Work on the school premises, employed by on-campus commercial firms (such as work at one of the restaurants in the UCen)
  3. Work done at an off-campus location which is educationally affiliated with the school

Conditions of On-Campus Employment

  1. Must be a current F-1 student, pursuing full course of study
  2. Does not have to be related to course of study
  3. Limited to 20 hours per week (or 50% time) while school is in session; can be full-time during official school breaks

Social Security Number

If you do not currently have a Social Security Number (SSN) and need a verification letter/form to apply for one, please ask your employer to complete the On-Campus Employment Verification form. Once they complete the top portion, you may submit it to OISS for a verification signature. This form takes 2 business days to process and we recommend waiting at least 2 weeks after checking in at OISS before applying for an SSN.