On-Campus Employment

Students in J-1 status wishing to work on-campus must be authorized in advance and in writing by the UCSB Office of International Students and Scholars.  To request on-campus work authorization, please complete the On-Campus Employment Authorization form and obtain the necessary signatures from your Employer and Department Chair/Director (and Graduate Student Advisor, if a graduate student).

Types of On-Campus Employment

In general, on-campus employment may be divided into three types:

  1. Work on the school premises, employed by the DS-2019 issuing institution (such as work for a UCSB department or dining hall)
  2. Work on the school premises, employed by on-campus commercial firms (such as work at one of the restaurants in the UCen)
  3. Work done at an off-campus location which is educationally affiliated with the school

Conditions of On-Campus Employment

  1. Must be a current J-1 student, pursuing full course of study
  2. Does not have to be related to course of study
  3. Limited to 20 hours per week (or 50% time) while school is in session; can be full-time during official school breaks

Social Security Number

If you do not currently have a Social Security Number (SSN) and need to apply for one, you may use your On-Campus Employment authorization letter to apply. We recommend waiting at least 2 weeks after checking in at OISS before applying for an SSN.