Financial Requirements

U.S. Immigration regulations require that OISS verifies your financial resources to cover the estimated fees and living expenses for the first year of your program before issuing your visa documents. These numbers are estimates. Your yearly expenses may be different, but this is the minimum amount OISS must verify for immigration.

Estimated Annual Cost

The adjusted current University estimate of the cost of attendance including tuition, fees, and living expenses for the 2018-19 academic year for international students is:

  • Undergraduate Students: $65,264
  • Graduate Students: $50,957
  • TMP Program (9 months): $76,961
  • Students with Dependents:
    Married students bringing spouse: add $4,000
    Students bringing children: for each child, add $2,000

OISS is required to verify funding for the first year only. However, you may want to gather evidence to show financial support for your entire program, as American embassies and consulates may require this type of evidence before issuing your visa.

Work-study opportunities for international students are limited. Most grants or scholarships are limited to U.S. students, and some visas include restrictions on the type of work you can do in the U.S.

After you have been admitted to UCSB, have returned your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) the next step in getting your visa to come to UCSB is to show that you have the funds to support you through the first year.

To do this, you will complete and upload the Confidential Financial Statement (CFS) and supporting documents using the OISS International Student Portal

How to Complete the OISS Confidential Financial Statement (CFS)

  • If you are will be covering your expenses using your own money or funds from family or private sponsor: Submit the CFS along with statements from the bank or financial institution that show funds available. If the account holder is not the student--if you are receiving support from family, friends, or private sponsors--the person named on the account must complete and sign the CFS form under “Sponsor Funds.”
  • If a government or other agency (such as CONACYT) will be covering your expenses during the first year: Submit the CFS along with a copy of your award letter. 
  • If UCSB (academic department, EAP, etc.) will be covering your expenses during the first year: Submit the CFS along with a copy of your award letter. 

You will need to upload electronic copies of:

  1. Passport personal information page (includes name, date of birth, passport number, and expiration date)
  2. Confidential Financial Statement (CFS)
  3. Supporting documentation requested on CFS

Questions? We have answered some common questions about the Document Upload System and getting your Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019)? here.