Visa Information

Almost all incoming international students come to UCSB with F-1 visa status. All full-time degree-seeking international students are eligible for the F-1 visa.

Some students in specific programs such as UC Education Abroad Program (EAP), Fulbright, or programs sponsored by a government agency, will be admitted in J-1 visa status. To be eligible for J-1 status, students must receive a majority of their financial support from sources other than personal funds. If you and your family are paying for your education, you will be admitted in F-1 status.

There are differences between F-1 and J-1 status that may matter to you, such as the type of work you or your spouse will be allowed to do while in the U.S.