What to do First

After you have been admitted to UCSB, have returned your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR), and received your UCSBNetID (5-10 days after returning you SIR): the next step in getting your visa to come to UCSB is to show that you have the funds to support you through the first year.

To do this, complete and upload the Confidential Financial Statement (CFS) and supporting documents. OISS will not be able to issue your I-20 or DS-2019 until ALL documents have been uploaded to the OISS Document Upload System. Once we receive all of your documents, it will take up to 6 weeks to process your I-20 or DS-2019, so please be patient. If you have not received your documents after 6 weeks, please email newintl@sa.ucsb.edu.

How to Complete the OISS Confidential Financial Statement (CFS)

  • If you are will be covering your expenses using your own money or funds from family or private sponsor: Submit the CFS along with statements from the bank or financial institution that show funds available. If the account holder is not the student--if you are receiving support from family, friends, or private sponsors--the person named on the account must complete and sign the CFS form under “Sponsor Funds.”
  • If a government or other agency (such as CONACYT) will be covering your expenses during the first year: Submit the CFS along with a copy of your award letter. 
  • If UCSB (academic department, EAP, etc.) will be covering your expenses during the first year: Submit the CFS along with a copy of your award letter. 

Using the OISS Document Upload System

Use your UCSB NetID to login to the Document Upload System.

You will need to upload electronic copies of:

  1. Passport personal information page (includes name, date of birth, passport number, and expiration date)
  2. Confidential Financial Statement (CFS)
  3. Supporting documentation requested on CFS

Questions? We have answered some common questions about the Document Upload System and getting your Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019)? here.

 Currently Attending a U.S. High School or College?

If you are already attending a U.S. college or university in the F-1 or J-1 student status, you will need to download the F-1 Transfer In Form or the J-1 Transfer In Form. The international student advisor at your current school will need to sign and verify the Transfer in Form. Once the form is complete, you will upload it to OISS with your financial documents using the Document Upload System. You will also need to upload your current I-20 or DS-2019, as well as a copy of the most recent U.S. visa stamp on your passport.

U.S. Immigration regulations require that OISS verifies your financial resources to cover the estimated fees and living expenses for the first year of your program before issuing your visa documents.

Estimated Annual Cost

The adjusted current University estimate of the cost of attendance including tuition, fees, and living expenses for the 2015-16 academic year for international students is:

  • Undergraduate Students: $58,630
  • Graduate Students: $50,100
  • Students with Dependents: Married students add $4,000 if accompanied by a spouse. Students bringing children add $2,000 for each child.

OISS is required to verify funding for the first year only. However, you may want to gather evidence to show financial support for your entire program, as American embassies and consulates may require this type of evidence before issuing your visa.

Work-study opportunities for international students are limited. Most grants or scholarships are limited to U.S. students, and some visas include restrictions on the type of work you can do in the U.S.