Immigration FAQ for UC Employees

We know that many members of the University of California community are concerned about immigration enforcement actions occurring across the country and have asked about the possibility that enforcement actions could occur at UC. This FAQ responds to your questions and provides information about how to respond in such a situation. Please keep in mind that Department of Homeland Security (DHS) policies are in transition; we may update this guidance as warranted.

What should I do if a federal immigration enforcement officer presents me with a warrant?

If you are presented with a warrant by a federal immigration enforcement officer seeking to enter University housing or other limited access areas of your workspace on University property, take steps to ensure that the immigration enforcement officers have authority to enter the property before admitting them. As noted above, civil and administrative warrants do not authorize entry without consent, but a criminal search or arrest warrant may authorize entry without consent. Because it can be difficult to distinguish among different kinds of warrants, ask the officer for their name, identification number and agency affiliation; ask for a copy of the warrant or subpoena presented, inform the officer that you are not obstructing their process but need to consult with Chief Campus Counsel, Nancy Hamill, for assistance, and contact Chief Campus Counsel at (510) 381-2408 (cell) / (805) 893-3459 (campus office) / (510) 987-8720 (Oakland office) / or email .