J-1 Overview

J-1 Exchange Visitors come to the U.S. temporarily for research, teaching and other academic visits. UCSB weclomes scholars from all over the world as part of the U.S. Department of State's J-1 Exchange Visitor Program.

UCSB's Exchange Visitors fall into specific categories of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program:

  • Short-Term Scholar
  • Professor or Research Scholar
  • Student Intern (for undergraduate and some Master's student researchers)

Each category has specific requirements, established by the U.S. Department of State. Please review these requirements carefully. If you are not sure if you meet the requirements to be a J-1 Exchange Visitor, please contact the UCSB Office of International Students & Scholars.

OISS issues the Certificate of Eligibility (a DS-2019 form) that will be required to apply for a J-1 visa at a U.S. Consulate. Your DS-2019 establishes your record in SEVIS: the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System administered by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

The U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs has a Welcome Brochure for Exchange Visitors. The Welcome Brochure will also be mailed to you with your DS-2019. It includes helpful information about requirements for J-1 Exchange Visitors in the U.S.

J-1 exchange visitors' dependents (legally married spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21) can enter the U.S. as J-2 Dependents.  Other family members (such as parents, siblings or domestic partners) are not eligible for J-2 status, but may be eligible to visit the U.S. as tourists with a B-2 visa.