Bringing Family

Dependent family members (spouse or unmarried children under the age of 21) of J-1 exchange visitors may enter the U.S. as J-2 Dependents, either with the J-1 exchange visitor or at a later time.

If you are a J-1 Exchange Visitor already in the U.S. and would like your family to join you, begin by visiting the UCSB ISSD web page. Enter the information for each dependent in the “Dependent” tab.

Next, complete the DS-2019 Request Form (Scholars) form.  Submit the completed form to OISS along with all required supplemental documents.

A DS-2019 form will be issued for each of your dependents and you will be contacted by email when the DS-2019 forms are ready for pick-up.

Your family members will then need to apply for the J-2 visa at the U.S. consulate abroad. In addition to their own DS-2019 forms, they will need the following documents from you prior to their visa interview:

  • Photocopy of YOUR J-1 DS-2019 form.
  • Supporting letter from your UCSB Host Department (indicating your current status with the Department).
  • Evidence of financial support (refer to financial requirements chart).
  • Proof of relationship you, the J-1 exchange visitor (Marriage or Birth certificates)

Once your family members arrive in Santa Barbara, please bring their passports, DS-2019 forms, I-94 cards, and proof of health insurance to OISS for registration.