All prospective J-1 visitors (scholars) must first be invited by an academic department or research institute within UCSB. If invited, the academic department/research institute will be considered your J-1 program host.
You will need to confirm the details of your proposed visit, such as duration and dates, academic activity, and source of funding, with your host department. OISS highly recommends that you begin this process three to six months prior to the start date of your proposed visit.
To apply for a J-1 visa, you will need a "Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status", also known as the “DS-1029 form”.
In order for OISS to issue you a DS-2019, the following steps must take place:
STEP ONE (Host Department):
- A personnel administrator of your UCSB host department will provide you access to the International Scholar Dossier (ISD) website through which you will submit your information.
STEP TWO (Visitor):
- You will need to log in to the ISD website and submit all relevant information related to your proposed visit. You will also be able to upload all required documents to this website.
STEP THREE (Host Department):
- Your host department will review the information you submit and then forward it to OISS for DS-2019 processing.
STEP THREE (OISS):
- OISS will submit your information to the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), which will create your SEVIS record and issue the DS-2019 form(s) for you and any eligible J-2 Dependent family members.
STEP FOUR (Host Department):
- Your host department will arrange the mailing of your DS-2019 packet.