Evidence of funds to cover expenses in the U.S.
J-1 exchange visitors must demonstrate adequate financial support for the entire period of stay in the U.S.
Financial support may be any combination of UCSB funds, personal funds, and/or third party organization funds, i.e. fellowships, scholarships, grants, etc.
To cover the current costs of living in Santa Barbara J-1 exchange visitors will need a minimum of $2,400.00 USD per month. Th J-1 principal will also need to budget for additional family members who accompany them in the J-2 dependent status.
On the J-1 DS-2019 request form, J-1 Exchange Visitors will need to enter the minimum financial support based on the length of their proposed stay using the figures below multiplied by the length of their stay.
- The visitor’s stay will be for two weeks – enter: $1106 (14 days x $79 = $1106)
- The visitor’s stay will be for six months – enter: $14,400.00 (6 months x $2,400.00 = $14,400.00)
- The visitor’s stay will be for two years and accompanied by two family members – enter: $81,600.00 ( 2 years x $28,800.00 + 2 family members x $6,000.00 x 2 years = $81,600.00)
The U.S. Consulate may require seeing evidence of the financial support during the visa interview. Evidence of financial support may include, but is not limited to, the following documents:
- Invitation letter or letter of appointment from the sponsoring department at UCSB
- Sponsorship letter from home institution, U.S. or home government agency, or other financial sponsor
- Personal bank statement or bank letter