J-1 exchange visitors may transfer from one J-1 program sponsoring institution to another if the following requirements can be met:
- Your current DS-2019 form has not expired.
- The purpose of the transfer is to complete your initial academic objective and you remain within the same subject field category on your original DS-2019 form.
- The transfer will not exceed your stay in the U.S. beyond the permissible time for your current J-1 category.
- Research Scholar or Professor – 5 years
- Short-Term Scholar – 6 months
- Student Intern – 12 months
J-1 exchange visitors planning to transfer IN or OUT of the University of California, Santa Barbara must request the transfer no later than 30 days before the desired transfer date.
Transferring IN to UCSB from another U.S. institution
If you are currently in J-1 status at another U.S. institution and wish to transfer your J-1 program to UCSB, first go to the “Apply for DS-2019” section of our website to review the step-by-step procedures for obtaining a DS-2019 form from UCSB. You will then need to communicate with the Payroll Coordinator in your UCSB host department, who will help you to begin the DS-2019 request process.
Once you arrive on campus, you will need to come to our office to complete your SEVIS Check-In and pick up your new DS-2019 form.
If you plan to travel outside of the U.S. before coming to UCSB, you will need to notify our office so that we can have your host department pick up your DS-2019 form and mail it to you
Transferring OUT of UCSB
You must notify your UCSB host department of your intent to transfer your J-1 sponsorship to another U.S. institution. You, your UCSB Host Department and your new sponsoring institution will need to agree on the Transfer OUT date and then complete a UCSB J-1 Transfer OUT Form. This form consists of three sections that will need to be completed by you, your UCSB Host Department and the international scholar advisor at your new sponsoring institution. Once all three sections of your Transfer OUT form have been completed, you will need to:
- Upload the following document(s) to your scholar record in the UCSB “International Scholar Dossier (ISD)” website.If you do not have access to the website, you should request it from the Personnel Coordinator in your UCSB host department.
- Completed UCSB “J-1 Transfer OUT Form”
- A “Transfer IN” form from your new sponsoring institution (if your new institution requires you to complete one) – An OISS Advisor will complete the required Advisor section and return it to your new institution for you.
OISS will then process your Transfer OUT Request in the Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), which will be effective on the date requested on your Transfer OUT form. If there are any changes prior to your transfer date, please notify OISS immediately.
If you are subject to the J-1 212(E) Two-Year Home Country Physical Presence requirement and have requested, or have been granted the J-1 Waiver, you may not be eligible for a J-1 Transfer. Please make an appointment to speak with an OISS J-1 Scholar Advisor before moving forward with your request. To schedule an appointment, please call (805) 893-2211.